This week has been busy… Like super duper busy… So I’m trying to stuff my face with healthy muffins so I don’t make any silly eating mistakes.
And since in my THINGS post from last week, I said that I wanted to make muffins, on a weekend, I did it! I’ll be completely honest though, it was a Tuesday night, but better late than never!
This recipe was adapted from Minimalist Baker. I follow her blog religiously, since I have to do without milk. Her recipes are super tasty, and she even has blogger resources out there for those looking to start (i.e. me).
This recipe does make you house smell amazing. A “I don’t care how hot those apples might be, they need to be in my mouth!” A direct quote from my boyfriend. So by all means, drive all the neighbors crazy.
- 1 cup unbleached four
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 pumpkin puree
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon (and some more for apples)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter (or vegan margarine)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 empire apples, peeled, cored, and diced.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and line muffin tin with paper liners. Spray liners quickly with Pam or other non-stick spray
- Saute apples in a skillet with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cook until soft.
- In a large bowl add pumpkin puree, almond milk, brown sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Sir until combined.
- Sift together in a bowl, both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Add apples and oats and stir lightly again until just combined.
- Spoon into muffin tins to the top. Sprinkle some oats on top if you’d like.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes of until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and store somewhere cool for freshness.
And may the pumpkin spice fairy land on you soon as well…